Craig Grant Caboodle Ranch Aftermath S.W.A.T. Team Raids Caboodle Cat Ranch, Destroys Cat Homes at Gunpoint, takes 600+ cats
I remember first seeing Craig on The Colbert Report. Granted, Stephen Colbert was sort of poking fun of this “Cat Man” but it’s hard to make jokes about a man who has dedicated his life to a greater cause the way Craig has. Under his care, some 600 plus cats have been given a second chance, a home with someone who truly loves them and devotes every minute of his life to them.
I’ve followed Craig and his Caboodle Ranch on LiveJournal since the moment I became aware of his mission and it has been such an enjoyable thing to witness: all the new cats that come in, all the donations he receives to keep the ranch alive, all the days and nights he stays awake to fight for his “babies,” the pictures, the stories… all of it is so rewarding knowing that a good thing like this exists in our sometimes very ugly world.
Last week, though, Craig was taken away from the ranch with a gun to his head for a “misdemeanor” charge. I don’t know about you, but I don’t know of too many misdemeanor charges that require a gun to the head, especially for such a docile and non-violent man.
Craig Grant Caboodle Ranch S.W.A.T. Team Raids Caboodle Cat Ranch, Destroys Cat Homes at Gunpoint, takes 600+ cats
Apparently a PETA spy has spent the last 5 months undercover in Craig’s ranch as a volunteer, collecting misinformation and shaping a false story to support their own agenda: shutting down Craig’s Caboodle Ranch for good. He’s been painted as a hoarder and animal abuser now, titles that I could never even imagine being given to such a humble and goodhearted man. And titles that hold no actual bearing. Craig has faced the law many times before, and he has conformed to make sure he was caring for these cats in every bit of the right way possible by law and by heart.
To say that Craig has somehow put these cats’ lives in danger is an absolute lie. How the people putting him through this can even sleep at night is beyond me. They have done everything in their power to break a truly selfless man. What kind of person or organization thrives on this sort of treatment?
When Craig was finally allowed back to his ranch two days after his removal, the cats were gone and the perfect home he’d built them (little private houses, memories of the ranches history, etc..) had been destroyed and for no other reason then to break his heart a little more. It is truly a tragedy to know that such injustice can take place. Who is this action against a good cause actually benefiting? As I see it, no one. It’s only hurting people and animal alike.
Caboodle Ranch Cats Living Life S.W.A.T. Team Raids Caboodle Cat Ranch, Destroys Cat Homes at Gunpoint, takes 600+ cats
Awareness is crucial at the moment. Please click HERE to read more about what is happening on Caboodle Ranch and how you might be able to help Craig get his furry children back.
My prayers will be with Craig as he endures yet another roadblock in his effort to do good in this world. I hope you’ll at least keep him in your thoughts or prayers as well.
Caboodle Ranch Craig Grant S.W.A.T. Team Raids Caboodle Cat Ranch, Destroys Cat Homes at Gunpoint, takes 600+ cats

UPDATE 5/5/2012

Caboodle Ranch has updated their website with a 9am Wake Up Call post to explain the current situation

UPDATE #2 – 5/5/2012

We have learned both PETA and the ASPCA have posted doctored videos filmed over 5 months in order to paint Graig Grant as uncaring, and unable to help the cats within the ranch. Both PETA and the ASPCA have also posted a large amount of pictures to show the living conditions within the ranch, in a attempt to paint the ranch as cruel, and inhumane. These questionable photos do not seem to show any recognizable areas of the ranch, such as the cat houses. Simply pictures of cats up close, or in rooms with in larger structures that cannot be verified are even on the ranch. PETA’s website has become flooded with angry FORMER supporters, and comments such as this are taking over the discussion.

Christina commented:

3-4-2012 11:47 PM
PETA should be ASHAMED of themselves!!! I have been a supporter for ten years and I will NEVER EVER give you guys a DIME again!!!! This man is WONDERFUL and his property was literally heaven! I took my homeless strays there and it was PARADISE! The ONLY PERSON at all involved with animal abuse AND caboodle is his NEIGHBOR who freely admits to SHOOTING and abusing ANY cats he sees!!! Whereas Craig, the owner and operator of caboodle, sleeps in a damn sleeping bag on a wood floor with 50+ cats around him. The cats pictured were injured by wild animals (hello this place is in the woods?!) or possibly injured by his crazy redneck animal abusing neighbor. So once again, you people need to do better research! I wish I could sue peta for the hundreds I’ve donated! LESSON LEARNED!!!
——————————————————————————————————————

John commented:

3-5-2012 11:50 AM
PETA needs to get a life and not wreck the lifes of others (Craig Grant)! PETA should show what REALLY happens at Caboodle on a daily basis and not pick and shoot what you want! Why did it take 5 months to get this video? If things were as bad as you say? You have now destroyed his life AS WELL as all the cats there, which you seem so worried about,is that PETA showing their true colors!
——————————————————————————————————————

Kim Johnson commented:

3-3-2012 11:52 PM
How is it possible that PETA has taped a poor little soul like Lily over months of watching her suffer and die and noone helped her. Why did it take so long to help those animals? Why were they left there to suffer so long and die? Aren’t you there to help them when you find them? You are supposed to be their saviours.
——————————————————————————————————————

Julie Lepper commented:

3-4-2012 12:40 PM
How about posting a daily video of all the animal Peta kills. Wow, now that would get some attention. Peta loves to shock people, now that has some real shock value. Someone ought to send a spy into their facility to show their supporters the truth.
——————————————————————————————————————
Links to articles about PETA -
Category: News
  • Ginger says:

This really breaks my heart too.
    People who have visited Caboodle Ranch know how wonderful the place is.
    I just made donation through Caboodle Ranch website. I really really hope he can fight through this and the ranch will be open again soon.

March 4, 2012 at 12:50 am
  • William P says:

This is baffling! PETA is only getting this man shut down because they prefer to kill animals instead of helping them.

March 4, 2012 at 2:22 am
    • Terry says:

P.E.T.A. And ASPA are going after people Luke this man because it’s taking money from their pockets……..

March 26, 2012 at 3:58 am
  • Cyrus says:

more proof peta sucks!!!!! all they are good for is getting woman to strip naked and protest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 4, 2012 at 2:25 am
  • Julie Lepper says:

My heart broke when I heard this news. I have been to Caboodle Ranch twice. The grounds were well kept. There was an abundance of food and water. The cats flock to Craig. It was very apparent how much he loved and cared for the kitties. There were cats with upper respiratory infection but this is a chronic problem in shelters. It is simply a cat cold. Why couldn’t Peta intervene by helping Craig if the the medical care wasn’t up to standards? Because they have a political agenda in the state of Florida right now. Peta is fighting a law that would allow rescue groups to receive animals that are scheduled to be euthenized. Peta in fact believes all rescue groups are hoarders. Peta has a 95% kill rate in their shelter. Peta employees were discovered several years ago dumping puppy corpses in dumpsters. The employees were killing puppies, cats and kittens in their van after picking them up from a shelter and vet clinic. The shelter and vet clinic believed Peta would be placing the animals up for adoption. Shocking huh? Peta is rotten to the core and can’t be trusted. Julie Lepper

March 4, 2012 at 8:39 am
  • Janet Nielsen says:

It is so sad and I’m going to continue following this case. I think about it all the time. I will continually donate to this man because I believe 100% in him and what he was doing. At first the videos scared me and upset me but then as I researched more it became evident what was going on. This has changed me. I used to think PETA was great but the more I learn the more I know not to trust them. I do not think all of what they do is bad but my issue with them is trust now. I think they lie at any cost for their own agenda.

March 4, 2012 at 10:38 am
    • Sue says:

I agree. I don’t donate to them but my sister does and I am sure after she hears this that will stop.

March 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm
  • Janet Nielsen says:

one more thing-I’ve read over and over PETA could care a less about cats and dogs-and now I read that they have written some book (I’m not clear on this though) about how people shouldnt own a dog or cat. The person said they do not believe in dogs and cats as pets. It all starts to fit together-they pose as compassionate people but they are what I view eco-terrorists. Killing animals that people think they will rescue like the puppies mentioned above, now this and there was another case like this I heard called Angel something. I usually have great instincts and I know when its cruelty or hoarding and this man is neither. Sorry PETA you blew it on this one

March 4, 2012 at 10:43 am
    • Ginger says:

Angel’s Gate. PETA tried to destroy Angel’s Gate as well. I cannot believe authorities don’t realize PETA’s true motivation. This is not their first time attempting to crush good cause. The only thing we can do at this moment is tell people the truth and donation to Caboodle Ranch. I will never give up fighting for them.

March 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm
      • Linda says:

Caboodle Ranch IS a wonderful dream come true for all the unwanted and leftover cats. I love it there and hope to go back soon. Thanks for the support for them.

April 8, 2012 at 8:12 pm
  • Julie Lepper says:

I wonder how the public would react if they saw a daily video of all the animals Peta kills. Peta likes to shock people. This would certainly shock the public. Someone should send in a spy to their facility for this purpose. Let the truth be known. Peta kills thousands of animals.

March 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm
  • Me says:

ASPCA has done more good than Caboodle ranch. I was at the ranch and was shocked that they do NOT adopt out friendly cats. That borders on hoarding/detachment issues. I wish now that I took the cat with me that jumped on the hood of my car, not that it even had a collar. I brought this up to Nanette and it didn’t faze her. Also, they did not CHOSE to prosecute people they knew that dumped 15 cats. How were they gonna pay for vet care?? No real answer was given. $150 per cat does not last long, totally unreasonable.
    Euthanasia of animals is a people issue. People are not willing to give money and time to educate their own neighbors, change laws as we like the freedom of making our own decisions, etc.
    Glad they good raided – btw, not the 1st time they have had major issues!!

March 9, 2012 at 9:46 am
    • Linda says:

ignorant twit

April 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm
  • Carolyn Echols says:

This incident at the Caboodle Ranch is a disgraceful sham of justice. The Sheriff knew about this raid way back in December when he and the County Committee set up requirements for the Ranch to obtain an EAH permit (Excessive Animal Habitat). They allowed the ranch to make improvement, working hard to qualify for the permit and bring everything up to par. They were on their third extension which would have given them until March 21 to complete all the remaining updates. The veterinarian obtained the 3rd extension in order to finish giving the cats all their shots and microchip them. The sheriff knew all along this raid was coming. That is so disgusting. And, to take Grant’s personal pets, his cat of 11 years, Tommy and his two dogs. Worst of all, to take his assistant Nannette’s cats. Nanette had worked with Grant from North Carolina on his website and drove to Florida monthly to help out at the ranch. She had just moved to a house on the ranch with her cats TWO WEEKS prior to the raid. Her animals were seized and the state’s attorney told her it would be a long time before she ever saw them again, that they were STATE’S EVIDENCE. State’s evidence after being in the state of Florida tow weeks. Then, the almighty sheriff slapped Nanette with a lawsuit to take her cats on the grounds that she is “unstable” and “unfit to care for them.” The woman is distraught! Those cats were her babies! Of course she is upset, who wouldn’t be, except maybe the sheriff who doesn’t seem to have much compassion. Then, the ASPCA with their smear and propaganda campaign, claiming cats “ran into the carriers” of their “rescuers.” What a crock of bull. My cats run into carriers every time I set them out because they like boxes and small spaces…it’s their nature. And the ASPCA did finally admit the sick cats were being treated, but they claim there were no dividers in the sick room. Why in the name of Heaven would they not just tell Grant he needs to install dividers? This whole raid on Caboodle Ranch is just ridiculous. I have only touched on a few of the awful things that went on here. I just pray to God justice will be done for Caboodle Ranch. And PLEASE, when you give money to help animals, do NOT give to big organizations like PETA, the ASPCA or the Humane Society of the US. Give to your local shelter or animal rescue group if you really want to help animals.

March 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm
  • Carolyn Echols says:

Oh, I forgot to mention, the real reason for the raid. It was a purely political one. PETA and the ASPCA wanted to stop the FARA bill from going through…the Florida Animal Rescue Act which would have protected animals from euthanasia if a rescue group could be found to take them. This raid was perfectly planned and staged to make an “example” of Caboodle Ranch in order to help defeat the bill. Well, it worked, didn’t it?

March 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm
    • Linda says:

The sheriff was also up for reelection and was appeasing the neighbors by getting rid of the neighborhood problem…Craig and his furbabies. Disgusting place to live…I thought Mn. was bad.

April 8, 2012 at 8:13 pm
  • Sue says:

PETA and ASPCA have to go!

March 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm
  • suzanne merineau says:

peta and aspca, you re pathetic, cruel, caniving, destructive etc..etc.. etc..etc.. you cannot possibly care for the animals when you do something so evil to one of the few loving and dedicated caregivers this world has ever known and to the cats that finally found love and medical care as well as a happy home,the ones abandonned, unwanted, umloved and in great need. My husband and I have donated many times and Im sorry now that we supported you, the evildoers of the world. I hope you never get another penny from anyone and that your so called organization is one day dissolved for the cruelty you have caused on innocent animals and good, kind people. Because of you, almost 700 lives are destroyed and so much pain and anguish has been bestowed upon them. Go to hell peta and aspca.

March 13, 2012 at 6:49 pm
  • Cat Sunn says:

Peta amnd HSUS showed it’s true colors. Instead of helping, they needed drama…suffering and death in order to get donations. And if they can find any place to do it, they will create it. Which is exactly what they did to Craig and the cats. NOw they will kill most of them. PETA HSUS=EVIL people

March 17, 2012 at 7:43 pm
  • Elizabeth Ann Scarborough says:

This is a travesty and a sin and a crime against cats as well as Craig Grant and Caboodle Ranch. They say every good deed gets its own punishment. I know cats. The cats in the pix of the ranch are not abused or mistreated or neglected cats. They show all of the sass and entitlement of cats with good staff, good care, and lots of love. Is it too much trouble for PeTA and the ASPCA to go out and find truly needy and endangered cats to “rescue” that they have to go after pre-rescued cats and mess up a great home for all of these kitties and the life work of someone Bast is probably considering for knighthood?

March 25, 2012 at 10:59 pm
  • DJ says:

So why, instead of picking on the proverbial ant, don’t the proverbial elephants, PETA and ASPCA, have this kind of SWAT raid on city and county animal shelters that deliberately disobey state and federal laws?? There are countless numbers of shelters across our country that are truly horrible — who don’t vaccinate or give health care or food or decent shelter to the animals that are dumped or brought in! The shelters who mismanage funds, putting the monies in their back pockets instead of spending it on the animals who have been placed in their care! It’s everywhere you look — news media, blogs, Facebook and other social medias!?!?!?! I am so very sad and angry that PETA and ASPCA are stooping to such low depths.

March 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm